Saturday, June 03, 2006

NIH: Stop getting injured!!!

Eesh, still haven't had the time to get my head fully out of my ass since my vacation, and we put another player on the DL? Dear lord. Alright, let's see what I can get out of this most recent one.

Yesterday, Santiago Rameriz got placed on the 15 day DL, retroactive to May 30. Now, am I the only one saying "Santiago who"?? Seriously, we're starting to accrue injuries to players who I didn't even realize were Nationals. Looking at his stats, he's pitched just 3.1 innings since being called up on May 23rd. That would go a long way to explain why I haven't heard of him, since his entire Nationals career was while I was on vacation, apparently.

So. Not going to waste much time on him and his 8+ ERA. He strained his right elbow. I don't see anything about a prognosis, but I think there are bigger issues with the team right now than whether a AAA relief pitcher gets himself healthy again.

The pitcher I'm worried about is John Patterson. He's thrown a simulated game, and he's going to throw another one before he gets a rehab start. I assume they rest him the same amount between simulated games as he would get between actual starts, so that means that his return to the Nationals is still likely more than a fortnight away. He may even get two rehab starts, which pushes the timeline back that much more.

With the team starting to finally click, getting his arm back into the rotation would be a HUGE help, though it's obviously better to get him back healthy than fast, since we're not in any place where we need wins to stay in a race. Be nice to have him back if the rumors of Livan being trade bait are true.

Joey Eischen is being listed as out for the season, and is firmly on the 60-day DL. I don't think that really comes as a surprise to anyone. The way he was pitching this season, I think a lot of people thought something was up. With his ERA 5 points above his career totals, and with him throwing away games left and right, there seemed to be a problem. Turns out it was left rotator cup, and the muscle therein, which is torn. That gives the Nationals six pitchers on the 60-day. I'd have to do some research, but I think we probably have the deepest DL of anyone in the league with 12 total players.

Guillen is on the DL with a strain. Hopefully he'll be able to come back soon, but strains can be nasty and unpredictable things. As with Patterson, it's better to get him back healthy that quick. I'll keep an eye out for updates on his condition.

PHEW! I think I'm caught up now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home