Monday, September 19, 2005

Lamentations

I haven't talked much about the NFL season thus far. The main reason for this is that my team? Is the Packers. Been a Packers fan all my life. My dad was a Packers fan, and he had me cheering for them long before Favre won them a Super Bowl. It makes no sense, neither of us has lived anywhere near Wisconsin, we're just Packers fans, because who the hell else am I going to cheer for? The Skins? The Ravens? The Saints? Yeesh.

So. There it is, I'm unashamed to admit it.

Which explains why the NFL season has me mostly quiet. First the Pack gets held without a touchdown for the first time since 2000. Next week Favre lights it up, but it's not enough, as the Packers fall to the Browns. The BROWNS! AT Lambeau.

I'm not sure what's happening. In part because it's hard to always get Packers games here in the DC area. But the big question is always: has Favre outstayed his usefulness as a QB? No one in Packer nation really wants to ask that question, because we love him. He will probably go down as one of the top 10 QBs of all time, and possible the best one playing the game in the late 90s. The man has a manic brilliance that just tends to gel an offense around him. He can make passes that some QBs wouldn't dream of. Hell, that some people playing Madden Football on the easiest mode wouldn't dream of. And he makes them.

But...but something is obviously failing right now. He was completely impotent in the first game, and even when he was himself this week, it wasn't enough. And I don't know why. And my Pack is suddenly just falling apart.

At least the Vikings are falling apart too, and worse, since Culpepper now has 8 INT and 0 TD this season. That's the only thing making me feel better about the season, cause I know that Vikings fans would otherwise be gloating like crazy over the Pack collapse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home