Thursday, June 22, 2006

NIH: Prognoses, Day-to-day

Say something about the condition of the Nationals players right now that I had to look up the plural of "prognosis" to make sure I got it right. So, here goes.

Armas: Armas has gotten a cortisone injection in his arm to counter some soreness and swelling that was revealed through an MRI. Now, I always hear about players getting cortisone, so I did a quick look up on what it is and what it does. Cortisone is a secondary hormone that is often released along with adrenaline in times of stress which has the effect of supressing the immune system, and is seen as one of the primary reasons that stress can lead to illness. Nasty stuff. I assume that the immune supression is the goal, though, to try and get the swelling down, since that's an immunoresponce to...I don't know exactly what. Armas will be reevaluated in three days.

Johnson: Johnson is only being listed as day-to-day right now. That's the good news. The bad news is that he's apparently reaggrivated an injury that kept him out of a significant chunk of the 2004 season. I don't think it's a surprise to anyone who follows the Nationals that Johnson is officially considered injury prone, and that's one of the reasons that the Yankees were willing to part with him. The official injury is a lumbar strain. For those of you who don't have lumbar support chairs, that's the region right at the base of the spine, just north of the waist. That's the kind of back problem I tend to get myself, and I know that it can be pesky, unpredictable, and painful. From one sufferer to another, I wish him a speedy recovery, above and beyond just wanting him back on the field.

Patterson: To close with good news, Patterson is listed as our probably pitcher tomorrow night in OPACY. Here's hoping we can turn around from that 26-9 drubbing the Sox gave us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home