Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Stadium Unveiled

There was a nice dog and pony show at the DC Convention Center that showed off the HOK design for the Washington Nationals stadium. In general, I like the look and feel of the stadium. There's a lot of talk that it's generic, there's a lot of talk that it's borrowed heavily from the design of OPACY. However, there's worse things in the world that a stadium that borrows from OPACY. I know, I know, that's their park, and we're getting our own park, and I think that HOK did pull it off. It looks like MCI, and it looks like the Convention Center. It looks like a piece of architecture from modern DC.

Now, it's not exactly the "monumental" feel that was being bandied around for awhile, something that would blend in with Lincoln and Jefferson, but then again, I don't want to go see a baseball game at the Lincoln Memorial. I'm not going to go and say that it'll be the great park ever ever, but it looks like they've done a great job designing a park for the Nationals.

I'll admit fully that I might be just excited that we have a stadium design, but for now, I'll take that.

For anyone who has possibly managed to avoid all the news, here's the design:
Pictures
Video

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home